About the Purple Cottage

What is the Purple Cottage? The Purple Cottage is a dream, a dream long in the dreaming. It's a place where creative souls come together and share their creativity, whether it’s teaching skills, sharing hopes, living dreams or simply abandoning themselves to the bliss of creating their art...with no rules and no expectations other than to have fun. For now, the temporary home of the Purple Cottage is Florida State College at Jacksonville's Outdoor Center, but hopefully one day, it will have a permanent home.

Who is the face behind the Purple Cottage? That would be me, Kelly Warren. I'm a big dreamer and have dreamt of a place like the Purple Cottage for as long as I can remember. I’m a jack-of-all-trades working mom of twin nine-year-old girls. By day, I’m the College-wide Coordinator of Student Life and Leadership Development at Florida State College at Jacksonville. By night, I'm wife to my hubby of 18 years and mom to the girls, two cats, two dogs, a random slew of fish and crustaceans and any other stray creature that happens along.

I'm the creative force behind Happy Shack Designs and have dabbled in all sorts of art my entire life, from needle arts to sewing to paper to photography to mixed media to jewelry and book arts.  I have a bachelor's degree in Communications and a master’s degree in English and teach an occasional college English class while exercising my writing bones on my own blog and on a group blog called Studio Mothers. I live life to the fullest and feel it's crucial to be able to laugh at yourself, so that's me below. I had collapsed on the couch that afternoon battling a case of pneumonia, so my girls took the opportunity to style my hair for me. Rather cutting-edge, don’t you think? Kookiness is my stock and trade.

I believe that life is far too important to be taken too seriously. So come play with us at the Purple Cottage. And dream some really Big Dreams.


2 comments:

Davielle aka Princess Magpie said...

Kelly, I wish I had read your PURPLE COTTAGE story / background before I met you ... my dear new friend, we have SOOOO much in common. I will send you a private note, but keep watching my blog(s) for where my head and heart are at since we shared AN ARTFUL JOURNEY with Cindy, all the amazing instructors, and the 100 or so participants. it was LIFE CHANGING, in some ways, for me. very VALIDATING, too. and it's opened me up to all kinds of ideas, dreams, thoughts ... I can't wait to share it with you. I am now trying to figure out how I might be able to get to BOUND. are there still any openings? xoxo -- Davi 2/28/10

Kelly said...

Davi, my artful friend! Can't wait to hear more about your dreams. And Yes! there are still openings!